The. List. As I like to call it. You know what it is. Everyone has one. Also known as a “kick the bucket list”, “bucket list” or “reaper list”. Long before the Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson movie, Bucket List, people had their own “list”, even if it wasn’t written and stored in a capsule or better yet, posted on a blog. It is sometimes a place and sometimes an activity. No two people’s list are the same, but one thing remains the same, it never needs an explanation. And with that, I present to you my list; which I expect to add to and then mark off as I do them. Please comment about items on your list and even things on this list that you’ve already done.
- Take a ride in a submarine
- Start a non-profit
Write a novel
- Be a published author
- Hang Glide at Kitty Hawk
Take a cruise (Yes, I’m a travel writer and have never taken a cruise)
- Compete in the U.S. National Toboggan Championships
- Dog sled
- Trek Machu Picchu
- Climb a 14er
- Cave Dive at the Cave of Swallows in Mexico
- Drive the length of the Baja Peninsula
- Go diving for treasure
- Take a hot air balloon ride
- Take a hot balloon ride…at sunset…while making out with a significant other..in Africa.
- Yacht/sail through the Caribbean
- Go snowmobiling
- Build a beach cottage
- Live in a beach cottage
- Track Gorillas
- Go tornado chasing
- Drive a gondola, but not wear the scarf and hats like they do at the Venetian in Vegas.
- Raft down the Colorado River
- Be on The Colbert Report
Live as an expat
- Play a round of golf at St. Andrews
- RV across North America
- RV around Australia
- Drive the Autobahn
- Go to the FIFA World Cup Championship
- Go to the Super Bowl
- Catch a fish or shark that is taller than me (above 6’3″)
- Throw the opening pitch at a Major League Baseball Game
- Swim with penguins
- Attend the final round of the PGA Masters at Augusta National
- Dive the Titanic
- Go spelunking
Visit the motherland of the U.K.
- Live for a season in the U.K.; where I go to the pub everyday, eat fish and chips and Bangers and Mash, drink Guinness and sing and dance
- Get published in one of the big fish (National Geographic, CN Traveler, AFAR, etc.)
- Be on a Travel Channel TV show
- See a concert at Red Rocks
Get off my plane and see someone holding a white sign with “Spellman” on it
- Go waterfall rappelling
Start my own business
- Black water raft through the caves of New Zealand
- Start a magazine
- Operate a bed and breakfast
- Develop an iPhone app
Learn to surf
- Go base jumping down the Cave of Swallows
- Sled down a volcano
Eat from 100 food trucks in San Francisco.
- Compete in the U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship
Road trip the Pacific Coast Highway. Go to the Olympics…as an adult.
- Visit every state in America.
- Learn to snowboard.
- Start and operate my own winery…or distillery…or brewery. Something that has to do with making money from drinking.
- Get my scuba diving certification.
- Go sky diving.
- Fly an airplane.